Looking for a few good nerds
We're a small team of fun-loving pros who thrive off of passion and really care about our clients, and the work we're putting out there for them. Our clients range from cool start-up businesses to Olympic athletes. We work reasonable hours and believe very strongly in work-life balance. If this sounds like you and piques your interest, check out our current openings and get in touch.
We’re looking to add a new studio assistant to our team here at SECOND+WEST. A studio assistant often wears many hats, with every day often being quite different from the next. Below is a list of typical tasks that our studio assistant will tackle, followed by desired skills to ensure success in these tasks.
Social + Online Engagement
Manage Instagram engagement with a focus on growing a following
Manage Facebook engagement with a focus on growing a following
Create focused Pinterest boards and pin content to them
Create basic social media artwork for Facebook + Instagram
Post social media content to various platforms
Follow hashtag trends and implement in our social media strategy
Comment on influencer websites to build more backlinks
Help grow traffic through various marketing strategies
Manage editorial calendar
In-House Content Management
Manage the in-house marketing playbook
Update the S+W website content
Post to the S+W blog and help answer comments
Mini photo shoots for social media content
Customer content management how-to docs + videos
Manage the client playbook
Research + discovery for projects
Populate website content + polish content for launches
Client engagement: gifts, cards, follow-ups, etc
Set up custom analytics reports + dashboards
The list below outlines skills that are desired in a studio assistant. Don’t let this list overwhelm. We’re all for training the right person, but we do expect applicants to know more vs less of these skills.
- Ability to tackle tasks independently and with little supervision.
- Communicate clearly and professionally both with the team and with clients.
- Manage various social media accounts natively and with online tools such as Buffer.
- Understand social media metrics, strategies and trends.
- Ability to read and understand Google Analytics reports.
- Create simple graphics in Photoshop, Illustrator, or Sketch
- Create PDFs from various programs such as Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator.
- Create/Manage Docs + Spreadsheets in Google Docs.
- Follow style direction for blog posts and social media updates.
- Manage and organize files in Dropbox.
- Communicate well via email, Asana, and Basecamp
- Manage email campaigns and automation using Mail Chimp and Campaign Monitor.
- Document internal and client processes as needed in Google Docs.
- Connect with the team on Slack and/or Skype for both internal and client meetings.
- Populate website content, making use of proper SEO and HTML formatting.
- Style, snap and edit basic photography.
- Willingness to grow skills through courses and memberships provided.
The following list of skills will definitely make you stand out as an applicant. Since we are a web design + development studio, having some ability to assist on such projects would be awesome, though not required.
- Set up new websites on managed servers.
- Clone repos to set up new client projects.
- Make simple HTML/CSS/SASS/JS changes.
- Manage domain records including adding or editing A and CNAME records.
- Test websites across various platforms and devices.
- Create, import and export databases.
- Run file and/or database backups.
- Proven graphic, logo, or web design skills.
Creative Tools & Software
The following tools will be used in this role.
- Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign OR Sketch
- Asana - for internal & Basecamp - for clients
- Google Docs
- Reliable internet connection
- Mac computer - sorry, a PC/Windows just won’t cut it around here
This is a part-time, contract, hourly position to start. Hourly rates are based upon experience. Upon applying, applicants will be asked to complete a series of tasks outlined above as a paid trial run.
S+W is located in sunny Virginia Beach, VA. This is a mostly remote position, but our ideal Studio Assistant will be located within 100 miles of Virginia Beach, VA, and have the ability to come into the studio as needed for planned team sessions and events. Bonus points if you're located in the Hampton Roads area, especially VA Beach or Norfolk.
How to Apply
Feel like you’re the perfect Studio Assistant? If so, we’d love to hear from you! Shoot an email to email@example.com and let us know:
- Why you’re a good fit
- What experience you have
- When you’d be available to start, if chosen
- What your on-going availability looks like
- What your current status is: FT gig elsewhere, freelance only, side hustler
- How you found this opening
- Where we can find you online: FB, Insta, the Twitters
- What super buff mythical creature adorns the Virginia Beach boardwalk
Since this position requires attention to detail and effective communication, skipping any of the above will cause your inquiry to be ignored. Feel free to include anything additional that may help us in getting to know you, such as a blog, portfolio, or more.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!
Jr. Web Developer
S+W is on the hunt for a bright Jr. Developer with rock-solid skills and an eye for good design. We are looking for someone who is US based and has worked remotely, either currently or in the past, so knows the benefits and the challenges. East Coast preferred or available during typical East Coast business hours.
More info coming soon on this opening.
We're always interested in meeting interesting and talented people. Aside from the openings above, if you're working on something amazing that you think we should know about, feel free to send over examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org.